Jul 10, 2014

Photo Shoot: Nanny

     Just after my myriad of trips to Ohio, my grandmother came down to South Carolina to stay for a week. It was so fun having her here and by the end I was wishing she could stay longer! I showed her everything I love about Greenville. This meant we ate out a lot, took several walks, and enjoyed a lot of the activities around downtown. In the midst of our partying, I couldn't help but do a mini photo shoot with her and after much prodding and pleading, she acquiesced!
     To be honest I had never photographed a senior before. Here are some things I learned that might be beneficial to you if you are ever called upon to photograph a senior (some of these tips could be applied to photographing people in general):
1. Encourage them to wear something in their usual style, you want to make them feel as comfortable and unthreatened as possible.
2. If asked, give good color options. Some people are great at dressing themselves and know what colors work best with their hair/eyes/skin while others are less sure. If they ask, be prepared to give them some options of what you think would look best on them. For my nanny, deep reds are too harsh, and yellows clash with her skin. Since she has more strawberry blonde in her hair and green eyes, I suggested green, turquoise or purple. And since she was here visiting I made sure to add, whatever color you brought or have clean! This wasn't an elaborate affair requiring a shopping trip!
3. Choose a location that doesn't require lots of walking or dangerous terrain. I ended up switching some of my original ideas to ideas that had easier access and more sure footing. She's still pretty spry for her age, but a fall would definitely not be good!
4. Choose portrait styles that are more sophisticated. I didn't have her laying on the ground or jumping in the air because those types of photos, though fun, aren't in my opinion truly age appropriate. This was definitely the case for my nanny, she would have scoffed at me had I even suggested those things!
5. Learn how to put people at ease. The more I photograph people the more I realize just how few of them actually like being photographed. And everyone has something or somethings they wish they didn't have, don't like, or want you, as the photographer, to minimize. Be sensitive to their insecurities, creative with your posing and give encouragement when necessary. 
     This isn't an exhaustive list by any means, but just a few things I learned while photographing my nanny! I think the photos turned out really good and I know my nanny felt so special and was so thankful that I took the time to document a piece of her life. I know I appreciate these photos as much as she does and it will be sweet to look back on them as time passes. If you have or will photograph either your grandparents or seniors in the future add to my list and let me know what you learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment